[mrtg] Generating MRTGs from historical logs

Stephen Jones sjones at sevcom.com
Thu Oct 5 03:33:15 MEST 2006

I did a bit of searching on the web and on the MRTG site and I couldn't
find an information about how to generate graphs from historical logs.

I've been able to 'fake' it, but I can't get around the 300 second
minimal 'sampling' interval, so as an experiment I just fed some of
the data in chunks with a sleep of 300 seconds between each chunk.

Of course, that sounds really tedious.  Has someone already done the
work to allow for something like this?  I've got about 10 to 15 years
worth of data I'd like to start working with.  Specifically I'm looking
for something to alter MRTG's time perception, not for a logfile parser.
I can provide the metrics myself, I just need a way to fool mrtg.

Thanks