[mrtg] MRTG showing incoming data during time when PC is shut off

john lists at cloned.org.uk
Tue Apr 3 04:58:26 CEST 2007

On Tue, 3 Apr 2007, Rohit V Bhute wrote:

> john wrote:
>> On Tue, 3 Apr 2007, Rohit V Bhute wrote:
>>
>>> My setup is as follows
>>> [PC1]<eth0>----------<ADSL modem DLink GLB-502T>
>>> [PC1]<eth1>----------<sometimes connected to PC2 through crossover>
>> Er, note that its BYTES per second, not kilo bytes. I.e. a very small
>> amount of data..
>
> Sorry, that's B/s. But still, if my last recorded speed had been, say
> 100KB/s, it would have shown that.

http://oss.oetiker.ch/mrtg/doc/mrtg-reference.en.html
One of the options you can set is:

unknaszero
     Log unknown data as zero instead of the default behaviour of repeating
the last value seen. Be careful with this, often a flat line in the graph
is much more obvious than a line at 0.

> And about my second problem? It seems like MRTG has now latched onto
> eth1 and the same behavior is being replicated there! Funnily, I'm using
> eth0 for connecting to the net. My setup is in a mess!

Your interface order may be different, but the way you are referencing
them in the target is for example 2:community at localhost, so its looking
for the second interface which may now not be the same as when you set it
up.

If you look at the reference page I linked above, there are different ways
to reference the interface. You can do it by IP, MAC, description and
a few others. That might help you get a more static reference to the
relevant card your trying to measure.

john