[mrtg] Final: FreeBSD Ports: MRTG + Nagios + Net-SNMP + p5-*

Daniel J McDonald dan.mcdonald at austinenergy.com
Mon Apr 9 23:59:42 CEST 2007

On Mon, 2007-04-09 at 17:32 -0400, Brian A. Seklecki wrote:
> Regarding original bug report in 2006:
>
> "I can't tell the MRTG to source queries form a specific VIP on the
> utility box by setting:
>
> # more .snmp-dis/snmp.conf
> clientaddr 192.168.96.52:161

Correct, snmp-utils uses a different syntax to do this:
community at target-ip:161!source-ip:...

> The PERL POD SNMP_Util doesn't seem to honor these the way the Net-SNMP
> CLI/lib/p5-Net-SNMP does, thus I can't create system-service abstraction.
> Plus, it complicates firewall rules!"

> Conclusion: For the record, MRTG does not and can not use Net::SNMP, it
> uses SNMP::Util and SNMP::Session instead.

Incorrect.  Since 2.13 you have been able to use Net::SNMP, as it is
required for the SNMPv3 routines.  If you add EnableSNMPv3=yes, then
Net::SNMP will be called instead of SNMP::Session

--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE # 2495, CISSP # 78281, CNX
Austin Energy