[mrtg] Final: FreeBSD Ports: MRTG + Nagios + Net-SNMP + p5-*

Daniel J McDonald dan.mcdonald at austinenergy.com
Tue Apr 10 14:26:00 CEST 2007

On Mon, 2007-04-09 at 18:22 -0400, Mike Mitchell wrote:
> SNMP_util.pm is a wrapper for SNMP_Session.pm.  SNMP_util.pm will restrict source queries to a specific VIP, however it does not know about ".snmp-dis/snmp.conf".
> Here is a part of the README.SNMP_util file shipped with SNMP_util.pm:

We should probably add this text to the MRTG reference guide, around
line 740 of the pod source.  I knew the parameters existed, but had to
go read the source to remember how to use them, since the
README.SMNP_util isn't packaged with MRTG.

A shorter blurb should be added to the cfgmaker pod around line 1651.

>   The port parameter was recently augmented to allow the specification of
>   the IP address (or hostname) and port of the machine doing the query in
>   addition to the IP address (or hostname) and port of the machine being
>   queried.  Some machines have additional security features that only allow
>   SNMP queries to come from certain IP addresses.  If the host doing the
>   query has multiple interface, it may be necessary to specify the interface
>   the query should come from.  The port parameter is further broken down
>   into "remote_port!local_address!local_port".  Here are some examples:
>
>     somehost
>     somehost:161
>     somehost:161!192.168.2.4!4000  use 192.168.2.4 and port 4000 as source
>     somehost:!192.168.2.4          use 192.168.2.4 as source
>     somehost:!!4000                use port 4000 as source
>
>   Most people will only need to use the first form ("somehost").
>
> In the previous text "recently" is sometime before 2001.
>
> Over a year ago, in January of 2006, MRTG version 2.13.0 was released.  That version was the first version of MRTG to include support for SNMPv3.  The support for SNMPv3 is derived from Net::SNMP, using another wrapper (Net_SNMP_util.pm). Net_SNMP_util.pm has the same API as SNMP_util.pm.  Since it calls Net::SNMP->session directly, if Net::SNMP supports the ".snmp-dis/snmp.conf" file, then Net_SNMP_util.pm supports the ".snmp-dis/snmp.conf" file.
>
> I do not see any reference to a "snmp.conf" file in the documentation for Net::SNMP, http://search.cpan.org/~dtown/Net-SNMP-5.2.0/lib/Net/SNMP.pm  Maybe you're confusing the Net-SNMP (http://www.net-snmp.org) suite of applications with the CPAN perl module "Net::SNMP".
>
> Mike Mitchell
> SAS Institute Inc.
> Mike.Mitchell at sas.com
> (919) 531-6793

Daniel J McDonald, CCIE # 2495, CISSP # 78281, CNX
Austin Energy
http://www.austinenergy.com