[mrtg] Time zone confusion (Thomas Olsen)

Thomas Olsen thomas_olsen44 at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 12 05:17:20 CEST 2007

Hi Alex

Thanks for your feedback on this. See below for my comments.

>Message: 2
>Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 05:13:11 +0200
>From: Alex van den Bogaerdt <alex at ergens.op.het.net>
>Subject: Re: [mrtg] Time zone confusion (Thomas Olsen)
>To: mrtg at lists.oetiker.ch
>
>On Thu, Apr 05, 2007 at 03:26:11AM +0200, Thomas Olsen wrote:
>
> > I have read several newsgroups, etc on this and as far as I could tell,
>it
> > is correct with GMT-2. If I use GMT+2, it will only make things worse.
>
>Timezones are west of Greenwich.  If a zone is east (as Amsterdam is),
>the difference thus is negative.  You add an hour, and specify -1.
It looks like it is not able to adjust the extra hour as Amsterdam is now
(with the rest of Europe) on summertime. If I only say
TimeZone[device]:Amsterdam, it will display the time one hour off. However,
if I say TimeZone[device]:UTC-2 the GRAPH with display the time correctly.
BUT: The text above the graph saying "The statistics were last updated......
" still refers to the time where the MRTG server is located and just adds
"UTC-2" behind.

>I cannot comment on timezone issues on windows; not enough experience.
>One hunch though: According to
>http://oss.oetiker.ch/mrtg/doc/mrtg-reference.en.html you can set
>'pngdate'. See if this is the correct time.  If it is, mrtg is not
>able to set a timezone for its own process, but can set a timezone
>for its children.  If so: try a batch file, setting the correct timezone,
>and then calling mrtg (without a timezone parameter in its config).
Do you know how I can do this?

>I also have some doubt about that "-2". Are you expected to change
>this parameter yourself whenever daylight saving changes?
I agree with you on this one, but I don't know how to get it the right way.

>HTH
>Alex

Thanks.
/Thomas