[mrtg] Mrtg error - trying to determine the real cause.

Dan mrtg at dandoore.com
Thu Aug 23 21:00:15 CEST 2007

Mersberger, Robert wrote:
> I posted this the other day but have had any feedback.  Can anyone help?

Hmm.

I had a look at this when you posted but couldn't really work out why it
was failing

You get a similar output you get when the device is either unreachable
or not responding to SNMP queries - the 'Eval' errors are just a symptom
of the failure but I'm not sure it's this.

Questions...

1. Can you post the CFG file portion for this interface?
2. Is the interface Gigabit or above, if so are you using SNMPv2 via the
:::::2 option to prevent counter wrap?
3. If you are using rateup rather than RRD, what are the values in the
log file for that interface around about the time it fails?
4. Are you monitoring several devices of this type with no issue on
similar interfaces?
5. If you increase the retry/timeout/backoff value for the target with
the options( [:[prt][:[tmout][:[retr][:[backoff][:vers]]]]]) does this
make a difference?
6. What is the CPU of the box doing when the failure occurs - I have
seen both my work and home boxes completely fail to process the UDP
reply when CPU peaks.

Dan.