[mrtg] Help for graphing cpu usage of a monitored router

Daniel J McDonald dan.mcdonald at austinenergy.com
Wed Dec 5 18:04:09 CET 2007

On Wed, 2007-12-05 at 11:21 -0500, Raymond Joseph Kopp wrote:
> I have been looking at cfgmaker commands and I've done a google search
> on how to add cpu monitoring of a router to the config.
>
> So far I find it confusing and in no way clear.

Patches welcome.  This is open-source software...

> We run mrtg on a BSD free unix box  and we are running version 2.15.2.
>
> It seems that cfgmaker should have provision for adding cpu as a
> parameter, but I see nothing in cfgmaker documentation to
>
> refer to cpu monitoring.

cfgmaker doesn't know about a specific piece of network gear, and Cisco
routers are fairly problematic, as there are a number of variations.
There are at least three different OID's that may be used, and the
instance is variable per platform (and some platforms have more than one
instance)

I have a template that grabs that information, but it has a lot of
fields that would probably not be useful to you.

> Is this correct?  isn't there some way of getting cfgmaker to create
> the code.

Yes, templates are the way to do that.  I don't know of a good template
repository...