[mrtg] gauge and counter on same graph

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Tue Dec 11 01:17:05 CET 2007

> > Is it possible to have mrtg graph a gauge value and a counter on the
> same graph?
>
> Not natively.  I think I could make it happen in routers2.cgi, but I
> really don't know if it would handle it properly...

You can't do it natively, because the gauge/counter definition is global
to the Target[] and so both values must use the same option.

You can do it in routers2 because the gauge/counter calcs are done at
the data storage step, so (provided they are in different Target[]s)
routers2 can combine them into a single graph without trouble, as it
doesn't care.

However, the big problem is that you may need different scales for your
two different variables.  With RRDTool and MRTG you can currently only
have a single Y-axis and a single scale, so you'd need to be sure that
both values were of the same order of magnitude and (preferably) the
same unit.  Routers2 could use the Factor[] option on the two separate
targets to overcome this, but it would be messy.

Steve