[mrtg] Graphing on a single port by IP

McDonald, Dan Dan.McDonald at austinenergy.com
Tue Jan 23 19:29:00 MET 2007

On Tue, 2007-01-23 at 10:15 -0700, Bill Green dfn Systems wrote:
> Hi,
>
>     Thanks to this list, I've been able to get a basic MRTG setup going.
> It's been running great for a month now monitoring usage on ATM interfaces.
>
> I would like to similarly monitor and Graph usage by IP Address on traffic
> from multiple sources that comes in on a single Ethernet Interface. Can MRTG
> do this?

mrtg does not have a native way to derive those numbers.  There are all
sorts of methods that can be deployed, but they require another program
to generate the figures that mrtg would graph.

> If not, can someone suggest a program that can? (preferrably Open
> Source)

you don't say what platform the ethernet is on.  If you have a netflow
capable device, then floow-tools or flowscan is probably your best bet.

--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE # 2495, CISSP # 78281, CNX
Austin Energy