[mrtg] Re: making MRTG faster

Christopher Noyes cnoyes at csc.com
Wed Jan 10 19:48:34 MET 2007

Hello,
Why can't you migrate to RRDtool?
I used to do what you are doing but after migrating to RRDtool, resources
freed up from constantly drawing the graphs allowed us to do other things
(I am doing phpsyslogng for all network gear world-wide, in addition to
MRTG).
Using mod_perl with Apache helps drawing the graphs on-demand with RRDtool
go quicker.

-CN

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
written agreement or government initiative expressly permitting the use of
e-mail for such purpose.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

admin <admin at azuni.net>
Sent by: mrtg-bounce at list.ee.ethz.ch
01/10/2007 12:40 PM

mrtg at list.ee.ethz.ch
cc

Subject
[mrtg] making MRTG faster

Hi, our ISP has been using MRTG for a while (still at 2.13.2), great
stuff, thank you! Our userbase counts a little over 1,200, that's 1,200
HTML pages and 4800 PNG files to take care of. The problem is that the
pretty powerfull Dell PowerEdge (dual Xeon) is taking almost 50 seconds
of full CPU time to finish drawing the graphs every 5 minutes. Instead
of migrating fully to rrdtool, the idea is to stay with MRTG. I know of
the --log-only option, but are there command-line tools to do the
on-demand drawing and HTML generation? (so that we can hook them up with
Apache's mod_rewrite). The solution might be trivial, but searching the
web revealed no useful results for me. Any hints or ideas on how to do
that would be greatly appreciated.