[mrtg] Re: Graph shows unreal drop in traffic

Ed LaFrance Ed.LaFrance at newmediaems.com
Tue Jan 16 18:36:34 MET 2007

...and if your switch does not have 64-bit counters, you can increase
your polling frequency. I am currently running mrtg every three
minutes against a particular switch with which I was having this
problem, and I am now getting very accurate data without artificial
drops. No configuration changes to mrtg are needed - you just grab
data more frequently to avoid the wrap-around problem.

Ed

At 07:21 AM 1/16/2007, Barber, Erik A. wrote:
>Is your utilization around 110 Mbps?  If so, you're probably hitting the
>limits of the 32 bit counters, and they are wrapping.  This can usually
>be resolved by using the 64 bit (snmp v2) counters, if your device
>supports it.
>
>Search for SNMPv2c:
>http://oss.oetiker.ch/mrtg/doc/mrtg-reference.en.html
>
>Erik

:::::::::::::     PREMIUM COLOCATION SERVICES     :::::::::::::
New Media LLC                    info at servercolocation.ws
11630 Fair Oaks Blvd., #300      http://www.servercolocation.ws
Fair Oaks, CA  95628             (916) 961-0446
(866) 519-4680 Toll-Free         (916) 961-0447 Fax