[mrtg] ERROR: Line 8 in CFG file does not make sense-INDEXMAKER

Wes Hegge whegge at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 20:46:05 CEST 2007

On 7/5/07, Harry John <irvine.harris at gmail.com> wrote:

>  Hello everybody,
> >
> > I've just installed MRTG on a centos 4.5 and it just gave me the local
> > output on http://localhost/mrtg
> >
> >  Now to add a swich to view it statisctics, i did
> > /usr/local/mrtg-2/bin/cfgmaker communityname at router1>/var/www/html/mrtg/core/switch1.cfg
> > and it succesfully created a .cfg
> >
> > i edited my router1.cfg workdirectory as /var/www/html/switches

I assume here you meant you edited the switch1.cfg and not router1.cfg?

To create a page I did Indexmaker like :
> > /usr/local/mrtg-2/bin/indexmaker /var/www/html/mrtg/switchswitch1.html>
> > /var/www/html/mrtg/core/switch1.cfg

This  is the  wrong command.  What you told it to do here was take the
switchswitch1.html file and create the cfg file.
Try using this command:  indexmaker
--output=/var/www/html/mrtg/core/switch1.html
/var/www/html/mrtg/core/switch1.cfg

and it gives : ERROR: Line 8 ( WorkDir: /var/www/html/mrtg) in CFG file
> > (/var/www/html/mrtg/core/switch1.cfg) does not make sense
> >
> > I tried doing workdirectory as /var/www/html/mrtg/switch aslo and
> > several other options but does'nt seem to work well.

Also, I am not sure of the security problems you may have with storing your
cfg files in the same directory as you html.  I would think this is not very
secure.  I usually make a directory called /etc/mrtg and store my cfg file
there.  Just FYI.

now i copied some stuff from mrtg.cfg to like runas daemon , HTML formating