[mrtg] monitoring system load

Zbigniew Szalbot zbigniew at szalbot.homedns.org
Wed Jul 25 22:31:48 CEST 2007

Hello,

I am very new to mrtg. I would like to use it to monitor system load. To
that end I installed mrtg 2.15.2 on a FreeBSD system (I used ports for
that).

I started mrtg from /usr/local/etc/rc.d/ in a daemon mode.

My config has the following entries:

WorkDir: /usr/local/www/stats/mrtg
Options[_]: growright,bits

Target[cpu]: `/usr/local/etc/mrtg/load.pl 1 0`
Options[cpu]: gauge, growright, nopercent
MaxBytes[cpu]: 100
WithPeak[cpu]: ymwd

Title[cpu]: Analysis of CPU load averages
PageTop[cpu]: <H1>CPU Load Averages</H1>

ShortLegend[cpu]: %
YLegend[cpu]: % of Load
Legend1[cpu]: .
Legend2[cpu]: % of Load
Legend3[cpu]: .
Legend4[cpu]: Peak % of Load
LegendI[cpu]: &nbsp;Maximum:
LegendO[cpu]: &nbsp;Loaded:

Load.pl is in /usr/local/etc/mrtg/

ps ax |grep mrtg
 6858  ??  Is     0:01.00 /usr/local/bin/perl -w /usr/local/bin/mrtg
--pid-file /var/run/mrtg/mrtg.pid --lock-file /var/run/mrtg/lockfile

However, nothing gets written to /usr/local/www/stats/mrtg/

Can I count on any suggestion what to check and how to get the load
monitoring started?

Thank you very much in advance! I am not too technical person so please
bear with me!

Warm regards,

Zbigniew Szalbot