[mrtg] How I can graph a data from a text file?

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Wed Mar 7 15:54:54 CET 2007

On Wed, Mar 07, 2007 at 04:48:15AM -0800, Vitaly Karasik wrote:
> I have a text file with a data (timestamp + value).
> How I can add this data into MRTG?
> I understand that MRTG knows to use external utility
> for reading "real-time" data, but how I deal with
> historical data with timestamps?

I don't think MRTG can handle this 'out of the box'.  If there is a
way to do this, it is relatively new and will be in the docs.

Perhaps somebody has written a script or such that does what you
need.  I'm sure somebody else will tell you soon in that case.

You could try running rateup yourself, using its timestamp option.

If you use an mrtg-rrdtool combo, you can recreate the RRDs and
fill them with historic data. This is similar to running rateup.

In both cases you need to invest time to get acquainted with the
tool.  If running rateup or rrdtool is no option for you, find
someone who will do this work for you.  Feel free to contact me
off list if you would like to explore this option (keep subject
intact please).

HTH
Alex