[mrtg] Accurate CPU Graphs With More Than 1 Processor

Heistand, David DHeistand at challiance.org
Thu Mar 15 16:10:39 CET 2007

Hi,

I've spent a few days trying to get MRTG to properly chart
multi-processor systems where I work.  We have machines mostly with at
least 2 processors, some that are hyper-threaded and some dual cores,
all running Linux.  I spent most of my time trying to figure out how to
accurately graph the CPU percentage and seem to have things working.  I
was wondering if someone would comment on the config below, i.e. if it
makes any sense or if it shouldn't be working.

I'm particularly interested in the Target line where it looks like I'm
able to divide the CPU counters by the number of processors to get an
accurate graph, and also am wondering if my guess that I don't need
'gauge' on the Options line since this is a counter and not a simple
1-100 value.  I also read that I should define 'LegendO' but things seem
to work fine as is.

Hopefully I'm not asking a question that is in the archives, I did look
but couldn't find an exact answer.

Thanks in advance for your time and expertise!

# this box has 4 dual core CPUs
LoadMIBs: /usr/share/snmp/mibs/UCD- SNMP-MIB.txt
Target[leon.cpu]:(ssCpuRawUser.0&ssCpuRawUser.0:public at leon
+ssCpuRawSystem.0&ssCpuRawSystem.0:public at leon
+ssCpuRawNice.0&ssCpuRawNice.0:public at leon)/8
RouterUptime[leon.cpu]: public at leon
MaxBytes[leon.cpu]: 100
Title[leon.cpu]: CPU Load
PageTop[leon.cpu]: <H1>Active CPU Load % leon</H1>
Unscaled[leon.cpu]: ymwd
ShortLegend[leon.cpu]: %
YLegend[leon.cpu]: CPU Utilization
Legend1[ leon.cpu]: Active CPU in % (Load)
Legend2[leon.cpu]:
Legend3[leon.cpu]:
Legend4[leon.cpu]:
LegendI[leon.cpu]:  Active