[mrtg] MRTG-PING Latency & Loss on the same graph

Peter W. Osel pwo at qimonda.com
Tue Mar 20 17:02:06 CET 2007

> *** Diego Vasquez (CM) <DVASQUEZ at copaair.com>
> *** [2007-03-15 14:34:28]:
> Has anybody created an mrtg-ping config file that integrates both the
> latency and packet loss data on the same graph?

while this is possible, I am not usre if you really want to do that.
mrtg does not support different y scales (e.g. one for ms and one for %).
smpkeping is definitly the tool, and worth to install!

for mrtg-ping-probe yoiu can select which values are returned, e.g.

	mrtg-ping-probe -p avg/loss <target-host-name>

would return average round trip time and packet loss.

If you RTT is high, e.g. 500 ms, your packet loss will not really be
visible well in the graph (0 .. 100) %.

I'd recommend to keep the graphs separate, or even better, install
smokeping.  http://oss.oetiker.ch/smokeping/

Hope this helps
	--pwo

--
Peter W. Osel			eMail: pwo at Qimonda.COM
Principal Development Systems	Phone: +1.919.677.6333