[mrtg] 64-bit counters with SNMPv1?

Forthofer Russ Russ.Forthofer at ssfhs.org
Wed Mar 21 23:06:51 CET 2007

I have a device (a Nortel OM3500) which has high-speed interfaces.  So,
I need to retrieve traffic counts using ifHCInOctets, etc....i.e.,
64-bit counters.   It appears to me that MRTG uses the 64-bit counters
when SNMPv2 is used.  However, in this case, v2 is apparently not
supported.  To verify this, I entered the following commands:

snmpget -c commstr -v 2c xx.xx.xx.xx 1.3.6.1.2.1.31.1.1.1.6.17
(response: Timeout: No Response from xx.xx.xx.xx)

snmpget -c commstr -v 1 xx.xx.xx.xx 1.3.6.1.2.1.31.1.1.1.6.17
(response: IF-MIB::ifHCInOctets.17 = Counter64: 6058121224)

This suggests to me that the box does not support SNMPv2.  Is there a
way for me to make use of the 64-bit  counters, while using SNMPv1?  (Or
if someone knows of a way to enable SNMPv2 on a Nortel OM3500, that
would also be a quite acceptable - perhaps preferable -  solution.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Russ

The information contained in this e-mail and any accompanying documents is intended for the sole use of the recipient to whom it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and prohibited from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, or authorized to receive this on behalf of the recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, use, disclosure, copying, or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient(s), please contact the sender by e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message. Thank you.