[mrtg] Monitoring Windows disk free space and named OID's

Amos Shapira amos.shapira at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 00:59:33 CEST 2007

On 23/03/07, Stuart Kendrick <skendric at fhcrc.org> wrote:
> hi amos,
>
> i'm out of ideas on why your Target line doesn't work :(
>
> MRTG has a templating facility ... i haven't used it, however, so i
> don't have any brilliant insights to offer

Can you be more specific about what you refer to as "templating facility"?
I've been through mrtg-reference a few times over the last month and
can't find anything which suggest such an ability.
Right now my hope is either to find something on sourceforge/freshmeat
(which so far failed) or maybe go with something based on m4.

> i, too, became tired of cutting & pasting all those lines into my config
> files ... so i wrote code to do it for me (see
> http://www.skendric.com/trend/graphs/mrtg-net-snmpd.pdf for the
> results).  i add hostnames to a text file now, and every night, a cron
> job reads that file, rebuilds the relevant mrtg config file, and life is
> sweet.  the code is available off SourceForge (the 'Netops toolkit') or
> directly from http://www.skendric.com/device/

Thanks for the pointer. It helps when you want a specific number of
variables for each type of host, but if I have to set my own counters
(e.g. monitoring in-house software) then it still won't help me in
copying/pasting configuration for each specific instance.

With Nagios2, for instance, I can just describe how to monitor a "ping
host" and then just spcify "host a.b.c.d is a ping host" without
actually having to copy and tweak the entire "ping host is monitored
that way"

Cheers,

--Amos