[mrtg] General monitoring question

Scott Danton scott.danton at gallatin-tn.gov
Wed May 16 17:44:57 CEST 2007

I am trying to get a bit of general information about traffic
monitoring.  Here is my setup.  I have a core router that has 6 t-1
connections to my remote sites.  Where will I get the most accurate
monitoring from the core looking at all interfaces or the remote side
router?

Second I was testing one of my sites that is connected, but no one is on
it yet, and I send a large number of pings.  I then disconnected the T-1
and the only thing that I noticed monitoring the core router was the
traffic dropped.  I could not tell the interface was down.   Is there a
way to tell if the interface is up or down with this program?

Thanks,

Scott