[mrtg] ping? email

Mersberger, Robert robert.mersberger at goldenven.com
Fri Nov 2 17:54:02 CET 2007

 I don't know if this will help but I run my mrtg with crontab and it is
set up to email me when mrtg fails to contact a device.  I also use
smokeping with alerts and this provides a fairly good indication when an
device fails.
Here is my crontab setup.
[root at mrtg etc]# more crontab
SHELL=/bin/bash
PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
MAILTO=nss at beverlycorp.com,robert.mersberger at Goldenven.com
HOME=/

# run-parts
01 * * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.hourly
02 4 * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.daily
22 4 * * 0 root run-parts /etc/cron.weekly
42 4 1 * * root run-parts /etc/cron.monthly
*/5 * * * * root /root/mrtg_run
4 5 * * * root reboot