[mrtg] CfgMaker: Target Naming Convention?

Dan Mahoney, System Admin danm at prime.gushi.org
Thu Nov 8 22:46:57 CET 2007

Hey all,

We would like to create entries like this with cfgmaker:

Target[a-1-1]: 1:public at 192.168.1.66:
SetEnv[a-1-1]: MRTG_INT_IP="" MRTG_INT_DESCR="RMON-Port-1-on-Unit-1"
MaxBytes[a-1-1]: 12500000
Title[a-1-1]: Traffic Analysis for 1 -- Summit48
PageTop[a-1-1]: <H1>Traffic Analysis for 1 -- Summit48</H1>

However I don't see an easy option with cfgmaker to specify the "naming
convention" for the targets.

I suppose I could do this with something complex like the --if-template
option, but wouldn't it be easier to just have cfgmaker have a
--target-name="a-1" option?

(I.e. we don't want to expose our graphs (which get mailed) revealing any
kind of information about our internal network, based on the filename), so
we would prefer not to use either the DNSNAME *or* the IP (and setting up
the things locally in /etc/hosts is just a kludge).

Would it cost me anything to get a small patch to cfgmaker that implements
this functionality?  I could hack it in myself, but I'm sure I'm not the
only person who could use this feature.

-Dan

--

"Of course she's gonna be upset!  You're dealing with a woman here Dan,
what the hell's wrong with you?"

-S. Kennedy, 11/11/01