[mrtg] Adding decimals to graphs

Alan T. Malek axu at cypress.com
Tue Nov 20 15:56:17 CET 2007

I'm using mrtg to graph the data from my AVTech Rooomalert 24E. It's
taken some effort to get it functional, but I've still one issue
remaining that I just can't figure out. I've found similar references
to my problem around the 'net but never a definitive answer. Hoping
someone here can lend a hand.

The temperature sensor returns the temp using four integers. So, a
log entry of say, 2010, is actually 20.10 degrees Celsius.
Unfortunately, mrtg seems rather keen on maintaining the scale in the
thousands. What I need in effect is to divide all numbers by 100...or
so I thought. I finally figured out that I could divide the Target /
100 which does cut down the size but I lose all precision. My log
data goes from 2010 to just 20. Graphs certainly look nicer that
way...I mean 2010 C *is* a bit on the warm side for a machine room,
eh ;-) but ultimately, that's just not what I want. What I want is to
have mrtg interpret the 4 integers as a proper temperature reading
incorporating the decimal and maintaining the precision. I found this
site indicating to me that it is entirely possible - http://
windmere.org/mrtg/alert/ - I'd like this exactly, but just can't
figure it out.

So, the question is how do I get my mrtg graphs to format properly
with a decimal.

Thanks a million.

Alan