[mrtg] MRTG 2 novice question

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Tue Nov 20 21:43:28 CET 2007

1. Set up multiple .cfg files, one for each device, and have them all
monitored.  Then use either indexmaker or a more fully-featured frontend
such as routers2.

2. If using Native MRTG (.log files) then use .htaccess (or the
equivalent if not using Apache) to set permissions on each set of files.
If using MRTG/RRDTool then you can do this very neatly using the
routers2 frontend, which can authenticate to a local password file,
LDAP, or whatever.

You're probably better off if you use RRDTool with MRTG anyway.  That
will give you a nice frontend menu like you want, and you can then
define per-user configurations to restrict people to a subset of
devices.  See www.steveshipway.org/software for the software and a demo
system.

(Note that I'm slightly biased here because routers2 is my baby :-))

Steve

1) How can we monitor multiple devices through MRTG, like I want to
monitor my Router, Server, Switch, So how can I configure them to show
in one screen, or for example a main web page where they shows, and to
whatever ip I click, it shows its MRTG?

2) If I setup MRTG to monitor 10 different devices , how can I setup
user id passwd for each of them, for example I am an cable.net operator,
I want to give mrtg for some specific user on there own ips, so how can
I setup mrtg for each user so he should see only his mrtg, how can I
setup this >?