[mrtg] Bandwidth/Max Speed misreported

McDonald, Dan Dan.McDonald at austinenergy.com
Wed Nov 21 21:26:36 CET 2007

On Wed, 2007-11-21 at 13:14 -0700, Eric Brander wrote:
> > I could do that, but my bigger concern is if MRTG is reporting the max
> > bandwidth as 100Mb, is it accurately reporting the in/out speeds?
> >

> MRTG does not use this parameter to calculate the rates, only to
> display % of capacity and to avoid unrealistic spikes by counter
> reset, etc. Manually setting the rate will solve your problem.

More to the point, cfgmaker blithely reports whatever the host claims as
it's speed from either the ifSpeed or the ifHCSpeed OID.  If you
manually walk the switch, do you get sensible values in those two slots?

> That said, you MUST use version 2 SNMP counters as Steve suggested in
> order to graph anything over 110mpbs in a 5-minute span.

If the correct value is not in ifSpeed, cfgmaker will not check
ifHCSpeed unless you are running snmp v2 or v3.

--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE #2495, CISSP #78281, CNX
Austin Energy