[mrtg] mrtg graphs keep clearing out...?

Kevin Vlasich vlasich at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 16:46:55 CET 2007

>I'm having the same problem with mrtg 2.15.1 on Fedora 7 and posted about it
>on 10/30/2007. One person responded that it may be a file locking problem
>(two copies of mrtg running at the same time), but that doesn't appear to be
>the problem I'm having. Also, I noticed that my logfile goes missing on
>regular occasions and only the .old file remains.

I finally got to the bottom of this problem; and it was a "file
locking" issue after all (sort of).  When I used yum to install mrtg
on Fedora, I didn't realize it put a crontab entry into
/etc/cron.d/mrtg (this entry won't show up if you run 'crontab -l').
I then manually added the same "*/5" entry in /etc/crontab.  So every
five minutes the same cronjob was getting run from two different
locations and eventually the file locking would fail and the
mrtg-logfile gets cleared.