[mrtg] Bandwidth/Max Speed misreported

McDonald, Dan Dan.McDonald at austinenergy.com
Tue Nov 27 22:56:57 CET 2007

On Tue, 2007-11-27 at 11:31 -0700, Tim Donnelly wrote:

> IF-MIB::ifName.1 = STRING: lo
> IF-MIB::ifName.2 = STRING: eth0
> IF-MIB::ifName.3 = STRING: eth1
> IF-MIB::ifName.4 = STRING: sit0
>
> The ifSpeed for that server give me:
>
> IF-MIB::ifSpeed.1 = Gauge32: 10000000
> IF-MIB::ifSpeed.2 = Gauge32: 100000000
> IF-MIB::ifSpeed.3 = Gauge32: 0
> IF-MIB::ifSpeed.4 = Gauge32: 0
>
> Running the ethtool command on grdb produces the following:
>
> Settings for eth0:
>         Speed: 1000Mb/s

> So snmp is reporting the eth0 is only 100Mb/s and ethtool says it is
> 1000Mb/s.  I'm inclined to believe ethtool because the switch the this
> server is connected to shows that it is operating at 1000Mb/s.  But I am
> still confused as to where the inconsistencies lie.

in the snmp daemon (likely net-snmp)

>   That and not getting
> any response back from janus when I run the ifName walk.

You might have restricted that particular mib tree (it's in ifXTable,
not ifTable.

But this is not an mrtg issue, it is a net-snmp issue, so you will need
to take it up with them.  There was a note in the net-snmp release notes
about problems detecting ifSpeed prior to 5.1, but that's pretty ancient
at this point.