[mrtg] Logging to database

Matthew Petach mpetach at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 21 00:52:37 CEST 2007

It's unlikely the graph creation is the problem for you.  I went through the effort of re-writing rateup to remove
all the GD calls and turned it into an update-only version, with no graphing, so that I could offload all the graphing
to a separate server that was running the webserver; going through all that work only netted me a 14% performance
improvement.  Most of the time is spent in updating the data, not in drawing the graphs.

>From our experiences at work writing SNMP data to mySQL as part of RTG.  it's unlikely you'll get better
performance in trying to do highly structured SQL calls for writing data than you will in doing  block oriented
updates to a local RRD file.  So if item 1 is really a concern for you, consider moving to RRD files rather than
moving to Oracle, as there's a lot more overhead involved in sending SQL updates than there is in writing bits
to a local disk.  However, if item 3 is more of an issue than item 1, moving to SQL would make sense; in
that case, I'd investigate RTG:  http://rtg.sourceforge.net/ as it is already written to do its data storage via
SQL calls.

Matt