[mrtg] graph Cisco total users

Dylan Bouterse dylan at corp.power1.com
Fri Oct 26 21:10:42 CEST 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: mrtg-bounces at lists.oetiker.ch
[mailto:mrtg-bounces at lists.oetiker.ch] On Behalf Of Daniel J McDonald
Sent: Friday, October 26, 2007 2:12 PM
To: mrtg at lists.oetiker.ch
Subject: Re: [mrtg] graph Cisco total users

On Fri, 2007-10-26 at 20:20 +0545, Gaurav Ghimire wrote:
> > Does anyone know how to graph the total users in a Cisco? Is there
an
> > OID that returns this? We terminate our DSL into a Cisco and I would
> > like to keep track of the total online users. Show users spits out a
> > list of users but not the total number. Show caller summary displays
> > line by line summary of "calls" and unique users logged in but I
don't
> > know how to write a script to pull that info and then integrate into
> > MRTG. Any help is greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Dylan
> >

> well what i would say is first search cisco database for the
particular
> OID or else just write a script that will snmpwalk that particular OID
and
> do a line count

I actually submitted a patch to mrtg that did just that, so it would not
have to be an external script:

http://oss.oetiker.ch/mrtg-trac/ticket/23

I don't know when the next version of mrtg will be released that
includes this feature.

--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE #2495, CISSP #78281, CNX
Austin Energy

With the help of a friend we actually did just that with a script. Did
the `snmpwalk etc | grep value | wc -l` where the value is a constant in
the username so it's not counting the console login, etc. The output of
the script shows
No. users
No. users
Router uptime
Router name
As I understand it. So for now I'll just stick with the script. It still
would be nice to have an OID the reports the VPDN users. Oh well. Thanks
for everybody's help!

Dylan