[mrtg] Moving MRTG to Another Server

Koelstra, J. (Jan) JKoelstra at MINSZW.NL
Tue Oct 30 10:00:58 CET 2007

Joel,

If you have MRTG already running on your production server and used the same directory structure it is easy to move from one system to another :

You can first copy your MRTG cfg file(s) and check if they run without any problems.
Leave the test box running while checking.
When MRTG runs happily on the new server then stop the MRTG process copy the historic data to your production server.

Each graph is build from the data in its own *.log and *.old files. So if you copy these to your production server you conserve all historic data from the test box. After the copy is complete you can start the MRTG process again.

After the first run of MRTG the daily graph will show the historice data. The other graphs will take more time to get updated, with the yearly graphs it can take a day. (If you want to force all graphs to get updated then you can throw away the *.png files. MRTG will rebuild them at the next time MRTG is running)

After you have checked all graphs are doing fine you can remove them from the cfg files on the test box.

HTH,

Jan.