[mrtg] Weird Error / Not sure

Dan mrtg at dandoore.com
Mon Sep 3 21:26:39 CEST 2007

Rob G wrote:
> I’m used to setting up MRTG on RHEL or CentOS machines, that have cPanel
> on them.  The other day I installed it on a Mandriva/non-cPanel machine
> for a friend of mine, but am left with an error on the monitoring page.
<SNIP>
> I’m not quite sure what to edit within the /etc/snmp/snmpd.conf file,
> and am hoping someone can guide me.

In the smnpd.conf file will be a section that allows you to choose some
basic security in what you can and cannot 'see' with an SNMP query.

I know on a Fedora install I did all you could do be default was query
was basic system info and I had to change the snmpd.conf to allow me to
see the bits of the tree I needed to see.

If you have just the default snmpd.conf then find this section and
change 'system' for '.1' - or whatever level of the tree you want to be
visible.

#       name           incl/excl     subtree         mask(optional)
view    systemview     included      .1

Then restart the snmpd service and give it a go.

This has a good description:
http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/wiki/index.php/Quick_HOWTO_:_Ch22_:_Monitoring_Server_Performance

Dan.