[mrtg] Safe to edit mrtg log files by hand?

Kelly Jones kelly.terry.jones at gmail.com
Sat Sep 8 22:03:51 CEST 2007

Is it safe to edit mrtg's service.log files by hand?

I got some spurious 0's in mine (my fault this time), and want to
delete them because they make my graph look weird.

I know I could just turn off "unknaszero", but I'm using that for
another reason (notifications), so I want to edit the .log files directly.

The lines I want to delete (I'm monitoring in 'gauge' mode):

1189196700 2594 0 2594 0
1189196400 1469 0 2594 0
1189196100 0 0 0 0
1189195800 0 0 0 0
1189195500 0 0 0 0
1189195200 0 0 0 0
1189194900 0 0 0 0
1189194600 0 0 0 0
1189194300 0 0 0 0
1189194000 0 0 0 0
1189193700 0 0 0 0
1189193400 0 0 0 0
1189193100 0 0 0 0
1189192800 0 0 0 0
1189192500 2480 0 2593 0
1189192200 2593 0 2593 0

The first and last line above are fine, but the lines in between have
been "corrupted" by 0 values (the 2nd and 2nd-to-last line aren't pure
0's, but they've been affected).

If it's not safe to delete these lines, can I just replace w/:

timestamp 2593 0 2593 0

or something? (or "timestamp 2594 0 2594 0", or maybe a combination,
since I have no way of knowing when the value jumped).