[mrtg] Safe to edit mrtg log files by hand?

Gaurav Ghimire gaurav at subisu.net.np
Sun Sep 9 05:47:53 CEST 2007

In case of spikes I modify the log files as per my need. But do I need to
update the .old files as accordingly.

MRTG needs the .log files only right!!...I mean .log files generates
everything that is needed so why do we need to manipulate the .old file as
well.

Regards,

Gaurav

> Kelly Jones wrote:
>> Is it safe to edit mrtg's service.log files by hand?
>>
> I've done it a few times, no problem at all.
> If you remove all those 0s, I think you'll get a flat line since the
> last valid line.
>
> (A couple of days ago I modify by hand on of my files because it showed
> a value like 100 times the maximum expected (because of the way values
> are calculates). My graph looked  so bad because of that value, it
> seemed a vertical line on the wrong value.)
>
> Do not forget to modify the .old file as well.
>

> --
> Luis Carlos.

Gaurav Ghimire
Support Dept.