[mrtg] Weired behavior of MRTG

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Mon Sep 10 14:28:36 CEST 2007

On Mon, Sep 10, 2007 at 03:58:32AM -0700, Peter wrote:

> I'm using mrtg 2.11.1 and i have the following
> problem;
>
> As you can see in the attached image (img0.png,
> img0-w.png), every day at the same time period i have
> this strange increase and decrease of the bandwidth.

Every day at the same time... this indicates the problem
(if any) is not related to MRTG at all.

> This is not normal, because when i'm checking each
> interface separately (img1.png, img2.png, img3.png),
> it seems that everything works ok. I have also
> crosschecked with the other end (my customer) and he
> doesn't see any problem on his graphs...

Why would such fluctuations be a problem?  Are there devices
with gigabit ethernet (or similar) on the network?

I don't see a problem, so if you would have asked me then
the answer would be "no, I don't see problems on my graph".
That doesn't mean I don't see the same fluctuations.

You can verify if calculations were done correct.  Copy the
log entries between 20:00 and 21:00 from each of the interfaces.
 Add them manually.  Show them on a spreadsheet.  Chances are
all three interfaces have a similar fluctuation, but only when
you add them these fluctuations stand out.

HTH
Alex