[mrtg] Weired behavior of MRTG

Peter grshadowgr at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 10 15:37:37 CEST 2007

> Peak hour... as in: a high consumer of bandwidth is present?
> that's why I asked:
> Why would such fluctuations be a problem?  Are there devices
> with gigabit ethernet (or similar) on the network?

Yes, there are devices with gig interfaces on my network...

> Many different consumers will create tiny fluctuations which are
> hardly visible.  Also, they tend to cancel each other out.

tiny? it's not tiny!! look at the graphs again please! it's about 2.5 - 3gb !!! every day at the same time?

> One consumer with a fluctuating bandwidth demand will create
> fluctuations on each of the three channels. When added, those
> fluctuations will not cancel each other out but rather will
> amplify the result.

> When two sinus waves are out of sync, the sum is a flat line.
> When they are in sync, the sum is a sinus wave with double the
> amplitude.  This is what I'm thinking about.  I could be wrong,
> but it is certainly a possibility.

> Have you looked at the data in the logfiles and done the math?

Yes and i see important differences! Anyway... i will go home now, and i will check it again tomorrow morning after some changes i did today (threshold wise..)