[mrtg] False spike

Gaurav Ghimire gaurav at subisu.net.np
Fri Sep 14 13:03:51 CEST 2007

Generally after you reboot your devices....you might see mrtg graphing a
very higher value, because of counterwrap...

There are few alternatives you can use to overcome this issue..

1) If you are sure that you link wont exceed any particular value say in
your case (4 MB) you can use AbsMax[_]: 500000 that will make mrtg
automatically ignore any value exceeding the 4 MBs and will graph a 0
instead.

2) You will have to manually delete the values from the log files (*.log)
go  through the log files and you will yourself know the value causing
spike. delete those values and run mrtg.

3) There are few scripts as spikekiller (I am sorry but I dont have the
link for it, my other fellow frens in here at the list might have..plz
share) use those to cutoff the value exceeding.

Regards,

Gaurav
> Hi
>

> I notice that when I reboot my servers, I will get a false spike.  Last
> night I rebooted a server and got a spike to 120Mb where the line is
> only 4Mb.  As you can imagine this has totally destroyed my reports.  Is
> there anyway that I can remove this false value?
>

> Thanks for all the help in advance.
>

> Peter

Gaurav Ghimire
Support Dept.