[mrtg] phisycal memory

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Mon Sep 24 00:40:31 CEST 2007

> I want to monitor the use of phisycal memory on my windows server.
> I have hrStorageUsed.7 and hrStorageAllocationUnits.7
> To have the used memory I must multiply the hrStorageUsed.7 and
> hrStorageAllocationUnits.7 value.
> How can I do this in my Target mrtg?

Target[windowsserver]: hrStorageUsed.7&pseudozero:community at server *
hrStorageAllocationUnits.7&pseudozero:community at server

See the MRTG documentation on calculated targets for more detail.
However, for memory the AllocationUnits are always the same.  You could
instead just monitor hrStorageUsed and use Factor[] to multiply it by
the appropriate value.

> If I put in my windows server an usb disk or an usb memory card the
> variables hrStorageUsed.7 and  hrStorageAllocationUnits.7 change in
> hrStorageUsed.8 and hrStorageAllocationUnits.8.
> How can I resolv this?

You have two options.

1) Write a script that has more intelligence and can identify which OID
to retrieve.  This will require scripting ability.
2) Install the pNSclient agent (or nsclient++, or NC_Net) on the windows
server, and query it using mrtg-pnsclient.  This returns memory, CPU,
disk space, etc and any PerfMon counter value.  This is the one we use.
3) Maybe another option exists?

Steve