[mrtg] Forks Option Information

Brad Lodgen bradmrtg at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 18:25:14 CEST 2008

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to find some information on the forking option and exactly how
it works. What I've been able to find is Tobi's information in changelogs
suggesting a fork for every router if you have a large config.

-Can anyone explain exactly how the forking option effects MRTG from start
to finish, especially when running MRTG in daemon mode with hundreds of
included configs?

-If you specify the forking option with 40, is 40 the minimum or maximum
forks...or does it always start 40 no matter what?

-How many targets go into each fork?

-Any additional information about forking would be much appreciated. I want
to fully understand forking so I can confidently leverage that power for
very large configs.

Thanks for any help,
Brad