[mrtg] New Mrtg Server very high CPU usage.

McDonald, Dan Dan.McDonald at austinenergy.com
Fri Aug 8 00:06:13 CEST 2008

On Thu, 2008-08-07 at 16:48 -0500, Mersberger, Robert wrote:
> I have just completed the install of my new Mrtg server on which I am
> running the following

> for fn in /etc/mrtg/*.cfg; do
>         env LANG=C /usr/bin/mrtg "$fn" &
> done
> ####################################
>
> I am looking for ways to improve performance  have some cpu left over
> for other task.

560 copies of mrtg running simultaneously?  Not terribly efficient.

I have about 500 devices that I monitor.  I have one master config, with
Include: directives for all of the devices.  I'm running forks: 40.
That runs 40 polling sessions at a time.  Once the polling is done, the
rrd writing is all single-threaded.

What helped us the most was setting up a stripe-set for the rrd files.
With 4 15K rpm sas drives, a 4 member stripe set cut our writing time
from almost 4 minutes to about 40 seconds.

--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE #2495, CISSP #78281, CNX
Austin Energy