[mrtg] In or Out?

Niall O'Reilly Niall.oReilly at ucd.ie
Tue Dec 2 22:17:39 CET 2008

On Tue, 2008-12-02 at 16:03 -0500, Kevin Wong wrote:
> Hi Everyone, can someone clarify which traffic is IN or OUT?
> I'm monitoring traffic at subnet B from subnet A (where MRTG runs).

	Things become clearer with a different conceptual model.

	You're monitoring traffic at an interface.  The interface
	is where a device (router, switch, etc) is connected to
	a network.  Traffic flows IN to the device from the network,
	and OUT to the network from the device.

	If you have a device sitting between two networks, you have
	two interfaces to choose from, but "IN" always means "into
	the device", and "OUT" the opposite.

	IHTH

	Niall O'Reilly