[mrtg] In or Out?

Kevin Wong KWong at PaceWildenstein.com
Wed Dec 3 15:46:29 CET 2008

I thank you all for your inputs.

-----Original Message-----
From: mrtg-bounces at lists.oetiker.ch
[mailto:mrtg-bounces at lists.oetiker.ch]On Behalf Of Jay Hennigan
Sent: Tuesday, December 02, 2008 5:46 PM
To: mrtg at lists.oetiker.ch
Subject: Re: [mrtg] In or Out?

Kevin Wong wrote:

> Hi Everyone, can someone clarify which traffic is IN or OUT?
> I'm monitoring traffic at subnet B from subnet A (where MRTG runs).  My
> understanding is this: the IN would be traffic entering router at Subnet
> B, and OUT would be the traffic leaving.  And if this is true, then the
> reverse would be apply to Subnet A.

It is from the respect of the monitored interface.

If you are looking at an interface on router A, then traffic flowing
over the wire towards that interface is "IN", and traffic leaving the
interface toward the wire is "OUT".

Your use of "subnet" is somewhat confusing in this context.

If you have two boxes A and B, and MRTG is running on A, then traffic
from A to B is "OUT" (it is leaving A) and traffic from B to A is "IN".

If you want to reverse this, you can place a minus sign (-) in front of
the target.

See:  http://oss.oetiker.ch/mrtg/doc/mrtg-reference.en.html

Search for "Reversing".

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Engineering - jay at impulse.net