[mrtg] Setting up RRD Tools.

Daniel J McDonald dan.mcdonald at austinenergy.com
Fri Feb 1 16:09:11 CET 2008

On Fri, 2008-02-01 at 08:28 -0600, Garon Ashby wrote:
> I'm really a complete novice with MRTG.
>
> I wanted to know if there was away to monitor multiple devices? I'm
> running this on a windows XP system, I have no exp. with Pearl so I'm
> having a problem getting RRDTools to work in XP.

If you are a novice, why make it harder on yourself by running Windows?
MRTG runs very easily under linux, as does rrdtool.  Trying to run
server-class software on a workstation class O/S is never terribly easy.

> I need to way to read multiple devices

There are three ways:
1. append the cfgmaker output from the second device to the first .cfg
file.  This is the least scalable method.
2.  run a separate instance of mrtg for every device.  This is
reasonably unscalable, but might be necessary under non-threaded O/S's
like Windows.
3.  Create separate files for each device using cfgmaker.  Create a
"wrapper" config that has Include: statements for every file.  This is
the recommended scalable method that integrates well with front-ends
such as routers2.cgi.

> and also if possible change the time from 5 mins to 30 seconds, etc.

I doubt you really want 30 second data, but you would need to be running
rrdtool.  Then use the Interval: directive with a value of 00:30

--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE #2495, CISSP #78281, CNX
Austin Energy