[mrtg] Setting up RRD Tools.

McDonald, Dan Dan.McDonald at austinenergy.com
Mon Feb 4 15:53:14 CET 2008

On Sat, 2008-02-02 at 20:38 +0000, Niall O'Reilly wrote:

> > > Would you care to explain how '3' has a scalability advantage
> > > over ''1'?
> > Because trying to maintain one file is a huge PITA.
>
> 	No doubt, but an earlier poster seemed to declare an
> 	advantage due to scalability rather than to ease of
> 	administration.  This may be one aspect of scalability,
> 	but it's surely not the only, or even most important,
> 	one.

an RRDtol front-end like routers2.cgi expects to find each router in a
separate file.  That makes it possible to display huge hierarchies of
routers and sites.  So, using separate files helps scale the display
functions, making the overall system more scalable.

If I had to run cfgmaker for all of my managed boxes at once, it would
take close to an hour, but with my configurations segmented I can
re-learn individual devices in just a few seconds.  This "ease of
administration" is actually a critical scalability concern when you have
large mrtg monitoring complexes.

Running under linux, a large number of Includes: with forks: 20 is going
to perform much better than twenty separate instances, as there is less
parsing to do and more shared code.  I know that is comparing "2" and
"3", but again it continues to demonstrate a more scalable solution.