[mrtg] RunAsDaemon vs. cron job

Andrew Bowie Andrew.Bowie at pt.qld.gov.au
Mon Feb 25 23:38:19 CET 2008

Hi;

My thoughts follow with Ian but the difference I see between the Cron
and RunAsdaemon would be around the timings.

Cron setup does not rely on the scans completing before the next
starts.
RunAsDaemon will depend on the Perl script deciding that the right time
has passed for the next scan.
Now the Cron design also allows you to update the CFG files when every
you need and not interrupt the current timings.

Personally I prefer the Cron setup as it will also close the process
and therefore reduce the full load (should make very little difference
really).

Hope this helps.

Andrew

Andrew Bowie
Principal Computer Systems Officer
Public Trustee of Queensland
Ph 07 3213 9177
Mobile 042 302 8518
Fax 07 3213 9485

>>> "Brogden, Ian" <Ian.Brogden at COORS.COM> 20/02/2008 9:07 am >>>

You need to ensure each of the cfg files can be processed in under 5
minutes, even if some devices are down (this actually makes the
queries
take much longer, due to timeouts and retries).

I usually split my files to contain under 200 interfaces each, and
just
run multiple instances using runasdaemon, but it depends if you
frequently have multiple devices down.

Right now, I have about a dozen running, totalling somewhere around
1000
counters, on a 7 year old Dell Wintel server.

Ian Brogden
EDS - CTO @ MolsonCoors Account

( Mobile Phone:+1-303-961-1850
+ mailto:ian.brogden at eds.com