[mrtg] MIBs not loading

Darren.Terry at cox.com Darren.Terry at cox.com
Wed Jan 16 22:08:25 CET 2008

Hello,

     I have just recently moved a very, very large MRTG system over to
updated servers and software (updated rrdtool, mrtg, the OS, and also
many other services). Things have gone well for the most part, I have
only had to modify a few scripts here and there. However, I am on my
last part of the move and I am having trouble getting the MIBs to load
for some devices. When running MRTG against the cfg file, I receive the
following error:

--base: Get Device Info on public@<IP>:::2
SNMP Error:
no response received
SNMPv1_Session (remote host: "<IP>" [<IP>].161)
                  community: "public"
                 request ID: -1951553875
                PDU bufsize: 8000 bytes
                    timeout: 2s
                    retries: 2
                    backoff: 1)
 at /usr/local/mrtg-2/bin/../lib/mrtg2/SNMP_util.pm line 627
SNMPWALK Problem for 1.3.6.1.2.1.1 on public@<IP>:::2:::v4only
 at /usr/local/mrtg-2/bin/cfgmaker_wisp line 817
WARNING: Skipping public@<IP>:::2 as no info could be retrieved

When I try and walk the device by itself, I receive the following error:

Cannot find module (DISMAN-EVENT-MIB): At line 0 in (none)
Cannot find module (LM-SENSORS-MIB): At line 0 in (none)
Cannot find module (NET-SNMP-EXTEND-MIB): At line 0 in (none)
Timeout: No Response from <IP>

I am guessing that that error is there because the MIBs aren't being
loaded/compiled either at all or not in the correct order. If someone
could give me a hint or point me in the right direction, that would be
great!

Thanks!