[mrtg] Linux cpu monitoring

Neil Lathwood neil.lathwood at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 09:53:11 CET 2008

Hi Folks,

I've been trying to graph some linux cpu values to find out the cpu % usage
of a server. I've searched the archives and got what I thought was the
correct config. However the results I am getting back are hitting the 1000's
rather than say 12%.

Config being used is:

EnableIPv6: no
RunAsDaemon: No
WorkDir: /var/www/html/test/
Options[_]: bits,growright
#LogFormat: rrdtool
PathAdd: /usr/bin/
Interval: 5
Forks: 8
LibAdd: /usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/x86_64-linux-thread-multi/
LoadMIBS: /usr/share/snmp/mibs/UCD-SNMP-MIB.txt

Target[localhost_cpu]: ssCpuRawUser.0&ssCpuRawUser.0:public at localhost
MaxBytes[localhost_cpu]: 100
#AbsMax[localhost_cpu]: 1000000000
ShortLegend[localhost_cpu]: %
YLegend[localhost_cpu]:  CPU
Options[localhost_cpu]: nopercent, gauge, unknaszero, growright
Title[localhost_cpu]: localhost CPU %
LegendI[localhost_cpu]: CPU:
LegendO[localhost_cpu]:
pagetop[localhost_cpu]: <h1>cpu</h1>

I'm using rrd as default but tried it without but this hasn't helped.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,

Neil