[mrtg] mrtg on a single switch won't run

Luis Sato Luis.Sato at apptis.com
Mon Jun 9 22:27:16 CEST 2008

I'm trying to setup MRTG on a single 3Com 3824 with the identical SNMP setup as my other monitored 3Com switches. However, this particular switch keeps erroring out whenever I try to create the config file. The error I receive is the following:

SNMP Error:
no response received
SNMPv1_Session (remote host: "x.x.x.x" [x.x.x.x].161)
                  community: "xxxxxxx"
                 request ID: 1593464619
                PDU bufsize: 8000 bytes
                    timeout: 2s
                    retries: 5
                    backoff: 1)
 at D:/Program Files/mrtg-2.15.2/bin\..\lib\mrtg2/SNMP_util.pm line 627
SNMPWALK Problem for 1.3.6.1.2.1.1 on xxxxxx at x.x.x.x::::::v4only
 at cfgmaker line 940
WARNING: Skipping xxxxxx at x.x.x.x: as no info could be retrieved

Again, with the exception of the IP address, the configuration of this switch is identical to other 3Com 3824 switches that are being monitored successfully. Has anyone seen this behavior before, if so, how can it be rectified?

Thanks,

Luis