[mrtg] (no subject) ADDED: External Monitoring Script..

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Fri Jun 13 00:36:05 CEST 2008

> Why does the script need to return 2 values? Can I not plot the same
> value twice i.e. name the script for both in and out?

Historical reasons.  MRTG originally graphed just router interface traffic, so there would always be an IN and an OUT.  When it grew to graph anything, it still had the requirement for there to be two variables per Target, although one could be suppressed using NOO or NOI.

> [root]# snmpwalk 192.168.10.1 secret .1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.42.1.3.5.1.2
> enterprises.9.9.42.1.3.5.1.2.2.17756118 = 60
> enterprises.9.9.42.1.3.5.1.2.2.18116118 = 35
>
> I simply wanted to grab the latest value i.e. for the past 1 hour, 35 in
> this case.

You may be able to achieve this with some of the strange pseudo-OID configurations for specifying the Target.  Not sure as you want the last in the walk, it may only be possible to grab the first?  There is a SnMPWaLK magic token that I can't remember the syntax for.

> I hoped to plot that initially, and then plot an average for the second
> line, same graph.

MRTG should be able to take care of the averaging for you.  You can also use the Factor[] directive to divide by 1000 if these are milliseconds, if you want.

> Target[UDPJITTER-RTTLATEST]:`/usr/local/mrtg-2.13.1/bin/RTTSumIn`&`/usr/
> local/mrtg-2.13.1/bin/RTTSumIn`:secret at 192.168.10.1

This is way wrong, you cannot have `external scripts` and SNMP.  It's one or the other.  You'll just need to write your external script to do all the work itself, and spit out the two numbers according to the MRTG plugin protocol (IE, decimalnumber, newline, decimalnumber, newline, optionaluptimestring, newline, optionaldescription, newline; then exit with status 0)

Steve