[mrtg] Problem with nulls in RRD files

Mersberger, Robert robert.mersberger at goldenliving.com
Tue Jun 17 16:45:21 CEST 2008

Thanks for getting back with me even though I did not follow the proper
protocol.
I checked the 3 items you have listed below and they seem correct to me
as follows.
1. community string is correct and there are no error when I run from
the command line.
2. the .cfg files has maxbytes set correctly and I don't use AbsMax
3.  it looks like rrd is still getting nulls: see below.   what is
unknown_sec
[root at mrtg2 ~]# rrdtool dump /usr/local/rrd_data/10.4.38.254_fa0_0.rrd
|more
        <step> 300 </step> <!-- Seconds -->
        <lastupdate> 1213713084 </lastupdate> <!-- 2008-06-17 09:31:24
CDT -->

        <ds>
                <name> ds0 </name>
                <type> COUNTER </type>
                <minimal_heartbeat> 600 </minimal_heartbeat>
                <min> 0.0000000000e+00 </min>
                <max> 1.2500000000e+07 </max>

                <!-- PDP Status -->
                <last_ds> 106725109559 </last_ds>
                <value> NaN </value>
                <unknown_sec> 84 </unknown_sec>
        </ds>

        <ds>
                <name> ds1 </name>
                <type> COUNTER </type>
                <minimal_heartbeat> 600 </minimal_heartbeat>
                <min> 0.0000000000e+00 </min>
                <max> 1.2500000000e+07 </max>

                <!-- PDP Status -->
                <last_ds> 170907938619 </last_ds>
                <value> NaN </value>
                <unknown_sec> 84 </unknown_sec>
        </ds>

<!-- Round Robin Archives -->   <rra>
                <cf> AVERAGE </cf>
                <pdp_per_row> 1 </pdp_per_row> <!-- 300 seconds -->

                <params>
                <xff> 5.0000000000e-01 </xff>
                </params>
                <cdp_prep>
                        <ds>
                        <primary_value> NaN </primary_value>
                        <secondary_value> NaN </secondary_value>
                        <value> NaN </value>
                        <unknown_datapoints> 0 </unknown_datapoints>