[mrtg] Specific Graphs

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Jun 18 00:20:12 CEST 2008

> Hi. I'm new with mrtg and I have configured it to monitor a Cisco
> router and I'm seeing daily, weekly, montly and yearly graphs.
>
> I'd like to know what's the simplest way to configure mrtg to display
> hourly graphs at 10 second intervals.

You can't - at least, not with vanilla MRTG.  But read on.

First of all you'll need to be using RRDTool as your backend, as MRTG in native mode will not use such small intervals.

You can set 'Interval:1' to get 1-minute polling and intervals (you need to recreate your .rrd files then), and then if you use the routers2 frontend with '6hour' enabled you can get 6-hour graphs at 1-min intervals.

If you set 'Interval: 00:10' (requires latest MRTG) to get 10-second polling then you'll need to make sure your MRTG server can keep up with it.  You will also need to make your own frontend to display the data as none of the available packages (14all, mrtg-rrd, routers2) will make 1-hour graphs without modification - and older versions of Routers2 will choke on the new format Interval directive.  Read the RRDTool documentation for how to generate your own custom graphs from a given RRD file.

HTH

Steve