[mrtg] customizing the index page

DA Forsyth iwrtech at iwr.ru.ac.za
Mon Mar 10 10:34:16 CET 2008

On 7 Mar 2008 , R Dicaire entreated about
 "[mrtg] customizing the index page":

> Hi folks...I've been googling this for 3 days and haven't seen any
> definitive information regarding what I'm trying to achieve, or if its
> even possible, so here's my goal:
>
> I'm graphing stats from various machines. indexmaker puts every
> configured graph on a single index page. I'd like to have a sub index
> page per host, and those hosts associated graphs display on those sub
> index pages. Then have a link to each hosts sub index from the main
> index. I've been given all kinds of different alternative methods (eg;
> rrdtool, cacti, etal ), I don't need these, I'd just like a pointer in
> how to achieve the above stated goal. I'm not averse to creating my
> own main index, but I'm not sure if indexmaker is capable of creating
> the sub index pages I'd require in this scenario. Any help would be
> truly appreciated, thanks.

I have my various categories of targets in separate files.
For each .cfg file I generate an index with indexmaker, with a name
like 'indexprinters.html' or 'indexserver1.html'

When I run indexmaker for the main page, I include a header that
includes a php script.  that script searches for and generates an
index of all files named 'indexXXXXXX.html'.   ie I'm letting the web
server do some of the work.

I find that having separate cfg files for each category is much
easier to generate and maintain than one big file.  also, some cfg's
are only called every 15 or 30 minutes, so scheduling them is also
much easier (I use cron).  a number of my target sets are script
generated so keeping them in separate files makes most sense.
(home folder quotas, printer usage and so on)

--
       DA Fo rsyth            Network Supervisor
Principal Technical Officer -- Institute for Water Research